[TowerTalk] Color code coax lines?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Color code coax lines?
From: VE6JY Don Moman" <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (VE6JY Don Moman)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:09:09 -0000
Most of the color tapes tend to bleed badly after a few years (or sooner)
and the result is a nice sticky mess that attracts dust etc. Some tapes are
better/worse than others, obviously.  For indoor use, "green" masking tape
is what I use a lot of.

The very BEST marking device I have found to write on coax is those liquid
"white out" correction pens. A Pentel "Presto" (bought from the guy that
sells all those
pens and pencils at Dayton) is what I have been using, but other types seem
to work fine.  I am not just referring to marking indoor cable - this ink is
very resistant to weathering as well. I have a "test section" written on a
tower leg facing south, and it has been in the weather for 2 years and shows
zero effect from the weather.  Obviously abrasion will take off the
lettering but otherwise it's excellent (and cheap!)  The fine point will let
you write on even RG-58 size cables. I have used Paint marker pens - they
tend to bleed into the cable jacket and are far less long lasting than the
correction fluid.

73 Don
VE6JY

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,