[TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:24:40 EST
In a message dated 12/20/01 9:22:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, w8ji@akorn.net
writes:

>  To top this all off, there is virtually no difference in performance
>  using a foam dielectric. The vast majority of loss is conductor
>  resistance related, and has nothing to do with what dielectric is
>  used in a coaxial cable except as that dielectric affects the size of
>  conductor you can use for a given outside diameter to have a given
>  impedance.

Gospel #101?
Why then difference in attenuation with higher frequencies for different
dielectric?
Are you saying that there are no dielectric losses in the coax?

>  Of course seeing the air core makes us "feel better" about the
>  cable. Like using a Rhombic even though a yagi has more gain.

Gospel #102?
Based on what? Modeling programs or real life comparisons?
My real life experience showed that Rhombic heard and worked stuff that
"yagiers" had no trace of. (Yea, anecdotal proof) Those who used both know.

Yuri, K3BU

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----