[TowerTalk] Dissimilar Metals?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dissimilar Metals?
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 01:20:57 -0500
Eric,

Here's what you do:

Aluminum to aluminum is OK.  So the ICE/PolyPhaser units bolt directly to
the panel.

Alternatively, if the panel is steel, mount the aluminum ICE/PolyPhaser
units to it, but use a stainless steel bolt/lock washer/nut.  That is the
grounding mechanism for the lightning arrestor.  This stainless steel
combination becomes the electrical connection between the panel and the
arrestor.

The copper ground wire should be connected to a copper ground lug that is
mounted to a stainless steel bolt and sandwiched between two stainless steel
flat washers so that the copper part touches only the stainless steel parts.
This bolt is mounted/grounded to the steel (or aluminum) box.

Signal cables will have passivated connectors either brass or plated with
nickel, silver, or other passive metal.  These connectors are screwed
directly to the ICE/PolyPhaser aluminum units.

Yes, there will be a problem with copper connected to aluminum.  Avoid this
with the stainless steel bolt/washer combination.

Brass and copper is "OK", but I avoid it.  I usually use stainless steel as
the transition metal between two dissimilar metals.  That stainless steel is
usually a bolt/washer/nut combination.

73,

Bill, N3RR