[TowerTalk] So which is the best switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] So which is the best switch
From: alwilliams@olywa.net (Al Williams)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:46:52 -0800
Because my three position coax switch (MFJ 1702B  a/b/open) became a bit
erratically open, I took it apart and am dismayed at what I see.

First, It has a nice cam action that holds the open opposite input (a/b)
contact
about 1/4 inch open.  The contacts appear to be nice 1/8" round welded to a
springy metal about 1 1/4" long  with a fair amount of pressure on the
contact.

 However, the contacts were only making at the far tip of each i.e. the 1
1/4 inch
 metal needed to be bent more at the far end in order to make full contact.
 Also, one contact was offset so that about 20% of the contact would miss
 the center common contact post.

 I assume that the design is good or adequate, but the workmanship was
 poor.  In fairness, I don't know if it came from the factory that way as it
was
 purchased at least second hand.

k7puc