[TowerTalk] Foundation too close to Tower??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Foundation too close to Tower??
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:17:05 -0800
the function of rebar in concrete is to increase the overall tensile
strength of the pour...due to the fact that expansion and contraction of
concrete and steel are almost identical the two can be married to create
reinforced concrete which has two excellent characteristics...

The concrete is for compressive strength - which is great but is useless
without reinforcing...imagine a poured concrete beam that was 20 feet long
supported at the ends....its own weight probably would cause it to fail and
snap in the middle....so

Add reinforcing steel which has tensile strength.  How does still get its
tensile strength...through heat treating in its manufacture....by welding
the steel you may cause it to lose its tensile strength which renders it jus
plain ole metal....ever lean on an electrical drill and try and burn your
way through with a drill bit that gets progressively hotter and duller....is
the steel you are trying to drill through getting harder or the bit getting
duller as it loses its temper and then its "edge".

Get some loop ties for wiring the rebar cage - they are short pieces of wire
which have loops at each end....there is a tool which you hook into both the
loops and then proceed to twist the two ends onto each other . once they are
twisted you are done...I have also seen this last procedure done with a
cordless electrical drill that has a "hook" in from an old tie twister
placed in the chuck... bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip  -  done.

k4oj