[TowerTalk] Welding of rebar (was Re: Foundation too close toTower??)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Welding of rebar (was Re: Foundation too close toTower??)
From: wa2bpe@exotrope.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:00:19 -0500
FWIW, and depending on what part of the country you live, you may not want to
pour directly into a "dirt" hole.  We can get frost down to 24" or so here in
the Southern Tier of NY during a rough winter so I made a 4-sided tapered form
of plywood with the bottom on solid ground/gravel well below frost line and
poured concrete into that.Yes, it is necessary to provide support ribs for the
form as well as buck the whole thing against the dug hole sides.  This yields a
tapered base sometimes called a "floating foot"  The vector forces from freezing
are translated upwards (assuming uniform freesing).  Mine (two 3.5 and one 4.5
cubic yards of concrete) have never moved/heaved in over 20 years.

73,  Tom - WA2BPE