[TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:39:00 -0800
> >Aircraft also must under go annual inspections to look for stress
> >cracks and failures.  Proper inspection of aluminum as well as steel towers
> >is a constant necessity.
>
> I believe this is my point -- proper ANNUAL inspection could probably
> avoid many tower failures, regardless of material.

In my opinion, if you inspect your aluminum tower and find cracks in it and have
to take it down, it HAS failed.  The consequences aren't quite as bad as if it
FALLS down . . . but if it fell down, at least your insurance might cover it .
. .
I doubt if your insurance covers stress cracks.

> Come to think of it -- why don't all those vibrating aluminum ANTENNAS
> work harden and break, eh?

Well, some of them DO break.  W7GOV had two feet of the ends of some of his 20
meter elements crack and fall off.  He was using a very poor taper schedule . .
.
three telescoping 12 foot pieces for one element . . . and they vibrated
terribly
in the wind.  It fell apart in about a year.  We both put up our 20 meter beams
in
1975.  Mine is still there and still looks great.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----