[TowerTalk] Aluminum towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers
From: lclarks@nc.rr.com (Larry Stowell)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:00:26 -0500
Well my $.02

I have an aluminum 75ft free standing crank-up/tilt over tower. I looked at
steel towers, this was at the time of the "First Call" problems. My cost
would have been more with the steel. The cost of transportation was
ridiculous $2800 from CA to NC. Plus the cost of the hole and concrete. The
Aluminum tower required no concrete just a 12" diameter hole 6ft deep(under
$200 including the auger rental). The tower was raised up to the mounting
post by my son and his friend. I lifted and attached the tower to the post
myself. (280lbs vs >1600lbs) I have a C31xr at the top with a small vhf
antenna above that(oh my an aluminum mast also-it came with the tower 1/4"
wall 8ft long). Its been up about a year now and it has not been subjected
to very high winds(~30mph and hopefully won't, that's why it cranks down).

Larry WA2SRY

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----