[TowerTalk] Antennas down

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antennas down
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 06:44:58 -0500
Ron,

I have 2 each of those three antennas, spread over  two towers, at heights
from 50 ft to 141 ft. See: www.erols.com/n3rr

I live in an area where the wind is funneled down into a trough and blows in
from the west to east.  We regularly get 50 - 70 mph winds in season (now),
and in a storm are much higher.

All of my HG antennas (105CA, 155CA, 205CA) (except my 205CA @ 50 ft which
is not reinforced at all) are reinforced per the W6QHS (++) design (elements
and boom). The boom reinforcements raise the boom survival to:

105CA = 150 + MPH
155CA = 139 MPH
205CA = 124 MPH (also, triple-guy design raises that to 157 MPH) (I don't
use the triple-guy arrangement).

Three of them are mounted in Ring Rotors, three use the HG clamp on a mast.
Both 205CAs have boom trusses.

I venture to say that if you reinforced your elements and boom per the W6QHS
(++) design (per his book: The Physical Design of Yagi Antennas, published
by ARRL), you will be fine in the future.

73,
Bill, N3RR