[TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Safety - Head Gear?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Safety - Head Gear?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:01:50 -0500
At 12:59 PM 2/28/02 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>OK, we've covered Belts, Boots, and Glooves, but I don't recall
>ever seeing any discussion of  HEAD  GEAR  for tower work.
>
>Anyone know where to find Hard Hats with Chin Straps?
>
>Anyone use any type of HELMET (football, motorcycle, bicycle, etc)?

I would think that a rock climbing helmet would probably meet this spec
(see http://store.yahoo.com/skishop/blacdiamhel.html) for some examples.

IMO, the normal sort of construction hard hat is of little use for the top
person on a tower because of the lack of lateral protection, and actually
tends to get in the way when working.  Mine came with a chin strap, but....
Still worth wearing on the ground or lower down the tower, though, for
protection against dropped stuff.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at