[Towertalk] Cushcraft R7000 and Salt Water Locations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cushcraft R7000 and Salt Water Locations
From: w4zw@comcast.net (W4ZW)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:24:51 -0500
I believe Yuri makes several good points about a saltwater surrounding
in his post.

I can only offer anecdotal experiences,  since I live on an island with
the ocean on one side (about 330' from the house ( NNW to S) and a
saltwater bay about 350' on the other ( N to SSE).  I often can be
working JA's on my mobile rig in the car with perfect Q5 signals and
they will abruptly disappear as I cross over the bridge to the mainland.
I have intentionally made a U turn, retraced my path and as soon as I'm
almost to the bridge, they pop back up out of the noise.  I use a
screwdriver vertical on the back of the car.

I often hear and work DX, especially on the low bands, that friends just
a few miles inland can't hear.   I installed an Outbacker on my boa
which is docked on the bay side  and I am always amazed at well it
works.  Lots of comments from DX stations like  "you're sure loud to be
a mobile."

I do know that my 402CD works better here than I've ever experienced
before.  I always feel loud on 40M, even running QRP.  The 402CD and my
80M Bobtail always seem to get  me through the pile-ups in only 1 or 2
calls, often running low power on these bands since I have TVI problems.

I call the ocean "nature's amp".  Works for me.

My purely unscientific experience FWIW.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of Paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"