[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:13:02 -0800
"Convince me a fall from a fixed tower is 'safer' than a step ladder."

Oh I get it - that is what this is about - Fear of Falling!  Now I
understand where you are coming from....it has nothing to do with proper
installation at all!  My posts have been about the fact that a fixed tower
has fewer potential failure points...now I guess you are saying that you do
not want to depend on the tower in any way - you do not trust it - that is
the difference here...if I have engineered my own tower to the point where I
feel safe on it, I feel safe on it becuase I made sure certain things were
addressed...some with redundant measures.

A fixed tower is safer to climb than a step ladder...why?

BECAUSE IT IS FIXED    !!!!!

I do not sway back and forth on a fixed tower but I sure as hell do on a
stepladder...

I cannot belt in on a stepladder....

I CAN belt in - lean back and enjoy a productive work day on a tower - at
any height - be it 5 feet or 199... I can never feel safe on a step
ladder...

I am talking about towers.

73,

Jim, K4OJ