[Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business
From: wy6k@yahoo.com (WYsixK)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:23:32 -0800 (PST)
Nice post Henry,

I can relate to some of what you pointed out.  Particularly the
unfriendly club members.  I have two friends who have wanted to be hams
since they were kids: one is 60 and one is 68.  They are both now at a
point in their lives where there is no time or money impediment to
getting into ham radio.  I took them to our contest club meeting and
only one guy was even remotely sociable and two guys were hostile and
arrogant.  I took them to a different club meeting and no one was
friendly the whole evening.  This despite out best efforts to circulate
and get things started and all the introductions I could muster.  They
both went away non-plussed and neither has actually gotten a license.

Contrast this with our Harley club.  I took a guest who was thinking of
getting a Harley.  He was introduced, toasted, chatted up by a stead
line during the breaks, inviting to ride along on the next event, etc.

Ham Radio is dying and Harley is booming.  Gee, I wonder why?

So I would have to agree with Henry that we are our own worst enemies.

=== message truncated ===