[Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business
From: rwing@southwind.net (Randy Wing)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:35:13 -0600
Michael,

I see you got quite a response!  (from helpful to depression)

My two cents worth?  Since I became a ham in 1996, my brother, my sister, my
brother-in-law (all 30 - 37 years old) have become interested enough to get
their license and becomes hams.  My friends (software engineers) have been
becoming hams FAST - because they see a vital and active club (Boeing
Employees Amateur Radio Society/Wichita, KS).  They see the things they
learn becoming a ham as vital to their careers as well as FUN.

I was pleased on 27 March 2002 to welcome my 14 year old daughter into the
ham ranks.  Her callsign is KC0MTM.  She is already collecting grid squares
on 6m and 2m.

So let me add a lesson learned.  Have FUN at ham radio and spread the word
about how you are having fun - and your friends and relatives will want to
do it too!  My 11 year old son is starting on his technician class learning
curve.

Ham is what you make of it.  Don't expect everyone to help you - just start
having fun!

Randy Wing
N0LD