[Towertalk] near tradedy Redux

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] near tradedy Redux
From: ve6yc@shaw.ca (Peter Larsen)
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 14:57:11 -0700
Thanks to Steve, NN4T, I need to add a bit on to my
earlier post:

>I say do what you wish to do, but don't promote the technique
> in any way, shape or form. You can get someone not as
>experienced as you killed.
(this comment was directed to me in private, but Steve allowed me
to quote it here)

I am not promoting free handing up a tower as a good
technique! If you only climb once in a while (even once a
month) you should get your self a "shepard's hook" or other
fall limiting device for when you climb.
I was on a job taking down
two towers one day, and one of the guys on the other tower slipped.
He was wearing a pair of running shoes, (dumb!) but he also was using
a shepard's hook (smart). So he was scared, but not hurt. (at the time
my partner was standing well back from my tower waiting for me to
be in the right position and belted in before I let him start to climb.)

Going around/over guy wires is probably the most dangerous
part of your climb. You should look into some device that will allow you
to clip into the tower above the guywire (or obstruction) before
you unbelt from the tower. I have a "seat belt" style lanyard with
a carabineer (sp?) on the side of my belt for this.

Having said that, I do free hand my tower (OK, maybe
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed) but I always maintain
3 points of contact on the tower at all times. When I am
going over the guys or the lower antennas, I am clipped in
with my "seat belt"

I hope this clears up some misunderstandings.
Peter
VE6YC