[Towertalk] 40 meter beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40 meter beam
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 05:40:38 -0500
> I suggest the same Telrex antenna OR if you can find a DX Engineering
> 3 element yagi .... GREAT antenna !

I am the happy owner of a Telrex 40M yagi (the longer boom
antenna), now that I have rebuilt and retuned it. In original form that
antenna is what I consider over-rated junk. I spent more on repairs
than it would have cost to buy a new M2 antenna.

While it is big and heavy, I think the reputation mostly comes
because it was the only big 40 meter antenna around for a long
time. Unfortunately big and heavy is not always strong or reliable.

Mechanically the Telrex antenna is poorly designed. It uses thin
tubing for the elements, and puts the elements right through the
boom were they wobble and wear on the boom and the insulators.

In original form, it broke something during every wind storm.
Usually it would break right where the 1-1/2" tubing tapered to 1-
1/4".

Electrically it was a bit off from optimum, and the factory balun was
a **very** poor design. It was severely unbalanced, and added
reactance to the system.

I replaced the factory balun with a good balun that actually works,
rebuilt the elements with 6061-T6 .058 wall with a better taper, and
strutted the elements with a support line. Now it has been up a
year or more without failures.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com