[Towertalk] Grounds, UFER grounds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grounds, UFER grounds
From: kellyjohnson@telocity.com (kelly johnson)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:03:18 -0700 (PDT)
So, how do you know if you have a good ground
or not?  If there's stray RF all over the place
I usually assume there's a bad ground, but unless
it's really obvious like this, how do you tell?

On Wed, 10 April 2002, "Jim Lux" wrote

> Nope.. I haven't tried it for RF (got a standard
ground rod hammered into
> the ground).. My house's electrical service, though,
does use a UFER ground.
> A bit of web searching should turn up some info on RF
properties though..
> Lightning protection and RF are very similar
applications...

> I was more interested in pointing out that the
surface area of a ground rod
> isn't all that huge... so a buried 2x2 foot copper
plate could actually be a
> "better" ground...
>
> A lot also depends on where your water table is, how
wet the soil is,
> capacitive coupling, etc.

this spring is to
> > install a better system ground.  Jim, if I read
your posting correctly,
> you
> > say that I would be essentially equally served with
a 10x10 inch plate
> than
> > I would with a 1/2" diameter rod 10 feet long.
> >
> > Does that pertain to the RF ground as well as the
DC ground?  If you use