[Towertalk] Grounds, UFER grounds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grounds, UFER grounds
From: stevekz9g@speakeasy.net (Steve G.)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:34:00 -0700
Jim and Kelly,

Interesting thread...

While the in the USAF several years ago (less than 10 yrs), I made ground
point resistance/impedance measurements using a bridge device like you've
mentioned.  The test equipment device is known as a "vibraground"  or
"vibroground" and measures the ground system's impedance in ohms.  In
practice, three connections are made. One to the ground point under test,
and the other two were made with insulated wire to short copper rods about
18" long.  These rods were driven about 33 feet and 100 feet from the
ground point under test (rod, plate or system) at a 3:1 spacing ratio from
the point under test.  The device, I believe, made these measurements in
the ULF frequency range, or at several KHz.

BTW, the few UFER ground measurements I made were surprisingly good,
considering where I made them (Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, AK).  Anchorage
is sitting on a rocky moraine with questionable quality and amounts of
soil.  If my memory serves me right, they measured around 5 to 10
ohms.  But, these were big bldg's with large cement pads/foundations.

If I were to build a house, I'd do some more reading on them, and specify
the contractor to install a copper network around and through the bldg's
foundation.  I made the measurements, and seen them work.

Oh, I suppose a similar device might be found gov't surplus, or at one of
the used test equipment company websites.

73 de Steve, KZ9G/7