[Towertalk] driving ground rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] driving ground rods
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:31:53 -0400
At 04:58 PM 4/17/02 -0400, n1nk wrote:
>I started driving the first of planned 6 8' ground rods in this afternoon.
>ouch.
>
>also stopped by the local hardware store to see if they had or could point
>me to a sliding type drive device.  they were unable to do so.  I am looking
>for simething like the tool sold for splitting wood which has a wedge at the
>bottom, a shaft and a weight that one lifts and is slung downward to impart
>force to the wedge.  works great on wood, don't see why it would not work in
>this application.

I think it's the "sliding" part that is fooling you.  The classic fence
post driver is a steel tube about 2 feet long with handles near the top end
and a plate plug welded inside that end.  It's quite heavy and the tube
guides it, so all you do is grab the handles, set it over the fence post,
raise it till it almost comes off the post, and then let it drop.  Any Farm
and Tractor or Southern States has them.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org