[Towertalk] OT-Virus???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] OT-Virus???
From: ww5l@gte.net (Tom Anderson)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:54:50 -0500
Fellow Tower Talkians:

Pardon the off-topic message, but I was curious if others were having the same
problem since many of the "bounced" e-mails I describe below are from/to other
hams.

Have you been receiving a number of "bounced" e-mails recent to people you never
sent e-mails to are e-mails infected with the W.32Klez virus?? Or have you
noticed
an increasing number of "infected" e-mails according to whichever anti-virus
program you are using?

The latest bounced one was I supposedly sent to N5XX  recommending he use an IE
6.0 "patch" that was attached. It bounced because N5XX's  ISP said my e-mail was
too long something like 100kb then Norton said it was infected with the W.32Klez
virus on the return.

I've even gotten a bunch of e-mails with no message from, just blank, except for
the header which is sent to my e-mail address from someone I've never heard of
or
it lists "undisclosed recipients" in the "To:" address line..

I don't even use IE, I use Netscape 4.79 since most viruses are seemingly
written
for IE than Netscape.

I've got Norton anti-virus running on both incoming and outgoing, plus their
update service is running constantly in the background (it just now gave me the
ok
that all virus definitions are updated).

I even received an e-mail from/to  "myself" at least with my e-mail address  as
the sender that was supposedly infected according to Norton.

A special download that Norton has for the W.32Klez virus  says my system is
virus
free.

I hope you haven gotten one of these messages with my e-mail address as the
sender.

Again, pardon the off-topic message, I was interested if others were having this
same problem that seems to have gotten more severe in the last week to 10 days.

Tom, WW5L