[Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts - Rationalized gouging

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts - Rationalized gouging
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:40:59 -0000
On 25 Apr 2002 K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

<snip>

>     The ham radio market is comprised primarily of people who are genetically
> predisposed to NOT spending ANY money. That's why you see them bitch about
> spending more than 57 cents for a 57 cent item when mail ordered. You and I
> both know that a typical ham will spend a couple of gallons of gas driving an
> hour or two to save 5 cents a foot on RG-8. (I apologize to those of you who
> are really great customers and who realize that you get what you pay for but
> you all know what I mean.)

<snip again>

Steve,
Since you refer to my 57 cents, I feel obligated to respond.
The company made (or should make) their profit on the item sold. The
part in question was a "screw kit" consisting of 6 oddball (in the US)
metric screws for a Kenwood VHF radio. They are probably worth about
3 cents. I was charged $6.00.  Sufficient markup?
Next, $6.50 postage and handling. Postage was 57 cents. The box was
about 2x3 inches, probably cost 15 cents. When I asked the cost, I was
told $6.00 + shipping. I asked how it would be shipped. Answer - first
class mail. Not first class mail marked up 1000 percent.

If they charged me $10 for the screws and $2.00 for shipping/handling, I
probably wouldn't be complaining. Yes, it is a ripoff. There are no real
costs for handling.  "Handling" was probably invented by an Enron
executive. The employee (or owner) is already there, and if he's not
putting my little plastic bag of 6 screws in a box, he's doing something
else - maybe productive, maybe watching Jerry Springer.

In most businesses, repeat business is the key to success.  This is
cultivated by customer satisfaction. I was not satisfied. I will never order
parts from this company again. Since Kenwood does not sell their own
parts, but makes us jump through hoops like this, I will certainly think
twice before purchasing another Kenwood radio. Just think, a potential
loss of a several hundred to several thousand dollar future sale over a
few bucks in shipping some parts...

Steve, despite your opinions on this, plentry of others seem to disagree
with you. Remember, customer service and perception is what counts...
73,
Barry--