[Towertalk] Klez

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Klez
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 17:43:32 -0400
At 03:15 PM 5/7/02 -0600, mcduffie@actcom.net wrote:
>Just because you receive the klez virus/worm, doesn't mean you are infected.
>I receive 2-3 of them a day (except for the last couple of days for some
>reason).  DON'T OPEN THE ATTACHMENT, JUST DELETE IT.

Like Gary, I get at least 2-3 a day, and always delete the attachment
first.  However, the virus protection sites all warn that this worm is
capable of infecting your PC even without your opening the attachment, if
you are running Internet Explorer 5.5 or before, or the associated Outlook
Express, and if you have not installed a security patch available from
Microsoft.com.  Until the patch is installed, simply previewing the message
carrying the bug can be enough to cause you to become infected.

So whatever else you do, if you are using Internet Explorer or Outlook
Express, be sure you've closed this loophole.  The consequences of
infection can be really severe.  I talked to a woman yesterday at a
charitable organization in Louisiana whose computer system has been
virtually paralyzed by klez.  It drops one of 3 or 4 different viruses
inside your PC that try to rename files, unload virus-checking software,
and cause all sorts of mischief.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at