[Towertalk] Re: 15M on C31XR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: 15M on C31XR
From: N6ZO@aol.com (N6ZO@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:39:15 EDT
With due respect, I do not think you understood that post correctly.

Lets not take force 12 to task for this problem  The owner has stated that he
made unauthorized mods and he said he only had a "feeling" things were not
quite what they could be.  For contesting, I think it was N4KW who pointed
out that
90 feet might be too high for 15 meters at certain times of the day.  This is
consistent with what I have seen with stacked beams on 15 where the lower
beam in the stack at 45-60 feet is better than the higher "identical"
antenna. This is especially true when running the EU guys on 15 in the
afternoon. I have a c31xr that worked fine right out of the box. Did I have
some problems with  "tuning" but they all turned out to be from interference
from BC stations affecting  my MFJ analyzer.  Not the antenna.   On the other
hand, the "MANUAL" for this antenna could use a little beefing up.

The answer here may simply be to get a hazer or a crank up tower and lower
the antenna as conditions dictate

I shared my views with the owner privately.  In one sense I hope you don't buy
one,  I don't need the competition.

I have had a TH6, a TH7 and a 4 el 20 hygain at this QTH.  My c3` antenna
went up after a contractor working in my back yard knocked the tower over.
If that were to happen again I'd have another order off to Force 12 for
another one tomorrow.

73

chet  N6ZO, ZD8W, KP4EAJ, VQ9XX, KG4ZO