[Towertalk] 15M on C31XR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 15M on C31XR
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:28:53 -0600
At N4AR, we had among other things, a 6L15 at 90 ft
and a CC 4L15  at 50 ft with a side mount rotor for EU / AF / Carib.

The 6L15 at 90 ft was getting KILLED in the pileups
(multiplier station of a M/S in CQ WW).  We switched
to the CC 4L15 at 50 ft and walked through the pileups.

Once the sun is up, and the MUF exceeds 28 MHz,
the supported angles on 15 M become pretty high.

Generally, there is a 3 to 1 ratio in MUF between
day and night.  The angles follow the MUF.
My experience is that LOW antennas shine
when the sun is up.  The High antennas are
good for opening and closing the bands.

Your 100 footer should play well in the CQ WPX CW
at the end of this month since we will be close to summer
and MUF's typically drop due to solar heating and
expansion of the ionosphere.  If 28 MHz is dead to EU,
then the high antenna should play very well on 15M,
but when 28 MHz is wide open, lower is better (on both bands).

I expect your 15M SWR and 15M performance issues
are NOT related.  With separate feedlines, the length and
terminations on the unused feedlines WILL affect the 15M
impedance through mutual coupling to the other D.E.'s.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.