[Towertalk] 15M on C31XR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 15M on C31XR
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 20:50:44 -0400
Yeah, except his resonance goes WAY down.

This is a three band hookup, three pieces of coax to three separate
DE's within a foot of each other.

Caution: I find in my modeling of the C31 that what is connected to
the center of the other DE's has an influence.

Exactly what is connected to the center of the 10 and 20 de's (balun,
how much coax, what state is the far end of the coax, shorted, open,
hooked up to transmitter, what.

After that can see if what you have hooked up to the other DE's can
detune you on 15.

If that was me, I would have 46'5" lengths of RG8 to the switch (4
elec 1/2 waves on 10, 3 on 15, 2 on 20) so that the unused DE's were
either effectively OPEN, or in the circuit at their resonant state,
depending on whether the switch was open off band or shorted
respectively.

Anything random other than the 46'5" has the capacity to turn the
other DE's into very close reflectors or directors and do terrible
things to gain and pattern. Add whatever hairpin match that may be in
use and you have some ugly possibilities.

I would SHORT/GROUND the unused coaxes.

I modeled various configurations of that antenna and decided that the
three feedline setup was a lot of worry for very little benefit.

Whether this is a problem depends on whether you took it into account
or not.

After that, something to do with an 80 or 40 antenna, near the top of
the tower.

After that, something about the guy wires (as in N4KG post).

AND conceivably, ALL THREE at the same time.

More info about your setup?

73, Guy.