[Towertalk] Force 12 needs to do more homework

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Force 12 needs to do more homework
From: bob@cytanet.com.cy (Bob Henderson)
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 07:14:41 -0000
I don't agree!

The C31XR is a fine antenna.  Interlacing three full size separate feed
monoband yagis on a common boom is not a trivial thing.  Is there another
manufacturer who offers this?

My C31XR out of the box had a better than 1.8:1 SWR across all three bands
installed in separate feeder mode.  No parts were missing except for the
extension tips for 20m needed with 3 feeders and the wire for the additional
hairpin.

The antenna worked well without adjustment but the minimum SWR point was
above 1:1.  Mostly around 1.4:1.  Adjustment of the hairpins brought the
minimum SWR down close to 1:1 but took time.

Why did I bother?  Well I have a lot of filtering in my SO2R set-up which is
50 ohm stuff.  It works a whole lot better if the antenna feed impedance is
50 ohms too.  Also the Alpha 87A doesn't much like high SWR and I'd rather
it didn't trip out too often.

My only criticism of Force 12 comes from reading one other recent posting
where apparently Force 12 have stated they ship two separate models of the
C31XR, one for single feeder and the other for 3 feeders.  That's
crazy........the only extra things needed for 3 feeder implementation rather
than single feeder are two bits of ally tubing a few inches long and a piece
of wire a couple of feet long for the additional hairpin.  These should be
included with every C31XR in a bag marked "3-feeder installation kit".
Shouldn't cost you more than 50 cents to do that.

It's already been said, but I too have had antennas that go together in no
time and have a flat SWR across the band. They worked just great as dummy
loads!  The C31XR is not one of those!  I have used a whole range of
tribanders over the years and without question the C31XR is the best yet.
Just now I think I am going to stack three of them on a rotating 120ft
tower.  That's unless I opt for  something bigger.....maybe C49XRs!

I'm a fan of Force 12!  I have no commercial interest in them other than as
a very satisfied customer.

Long may they continue to innovate and prosper as a result!

73

Bob Henderson
5B4AGN, ZC4ZM, G3ZEM
5V7ZM, 9G5ZM, C21ZM, ZD9ZM