[Towertalk] Building Permit or Not

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Building Permit or Not
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 10:25:34 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/02 11:41:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time, aa4lr@arrl.net
writes:

> >Do I ask for a Building Permit from the City (big hassle with Special Use
>  >permit and Zoning Variance)??  or just put it up and wait to see who
>  >screams first.
>
>  Although it often is the common rule that it is easier to ask for
>  forgiveness than permission, here are a few things to consider.
>
>  If you don't properly document your structure with the local government,
>  it would make a very simple court case to get you to take it down -- if
>  your neighbors were sufficiently annoyed.

    If you put up an unpermitted tower, the only way you're going to get
busted is if someone complains.

    If you decide to put it up without a permit, build it like you have one
and document everything; i.e. take photos of the hole with a tape measure of
something to show the depth, take photos of the rebar cage out of and in the
hole, and hang onto your receipts for concrete and rebar. This way you can
prove what you did - I've retro'ed permits in this fashion.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -