[Towertalk] Tower Safety

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower Safety
From: k2gbh@arrl.net (Herbert Sweet)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 20:13:55 -0400
Our club  (Poughkeepsie ARC) needs to replace its aging rope that is used for
guying and pulling up
towers.  We put up three 40 ft Rohn towers, each with its own beam.  The beams
are 3 element 20
meters, 3 element 15 meters, and 5 element 10 meters.

Some time ago I calculated the maximum stress on the pull up rope, probably at
about a 20 degree
angle,  as being in the neighborhood of 350 pounds. We use a battery powered
windless to do the
lifting.

We have been looking at the black dacron that is supplied by several of the ham
supplies companies.
It comes in 3/16 770 lb breaking strength, 5/16 1250 lbs, and 7/17 2150 lbs.
Are any of these
suitable?  If not, what would you recommend?