[Towertalk] MW BC tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] MW BC tower
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:50:56 +0000
I think I sent something to this list a couple of weeks ago about touring a
radio station and looking at their tower.  Continuing that, I'm putting out
a quick note to everyone to tell you all that if you happen to be in the
west Chicago suburbs sometime you might find it interesting to take a quick
look at the WSCR (ex WMAQ) tx site on Army Trail Rd. in Glendale Heights IL.
  The property itself is fenced in of course *but* the land just west of the
site has been developed and is now the qth of a Dominicks Supermarket and
parking lot.  You can now park and walk along the station property line
behind the supermarket and get a pretty good look at the feedpoint insulator
and other hardware from about 300 ft. away.  This is a 50 Kw. day/night
clear channel 1A omnidirectional site operating on 670 Khz.  The tower looks
like it's about 700 or 800 ft. tall.  The way the guys are insulated and
anchored and the overall massiveness of the thing is pretty awesome
considering it's sitting on an insulator.  Surprisingly (to me) they used
3-way guying. I guess when you know what your doing that's enough.  There
were also all these RF hazard warning signs about 50 ft. away from the
tower--I should get some of those and put them in my yard and see what the
neighbors do, hi.

73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com

P.s.  On some of the guy insulators, they had these green flourescent tube
looking things hooked around the insulators from one side to the other.
Anyone know what these could be?