[Towertalk] Raised Guy Stays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Raised Guy Stays
From: wl7e@arrl.net (Joe)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:56:02 +0100
At 03:53 6/26/02, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/25/02 4:22:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>jperalta@tampabay.rr.com writes:
>
> > I'm getting ready to extend the height of a 30' Rohn 25 bracketed tower to
> >  about 70' and I would like to use raised guy stays ( I think that is what
> >  they are called ) to get the guy wires above head height.
>     The best material is I-beam (eye-beam, H-beam). It's much stronger than
>round elevated guys.
>
>     Put 60% of the guy in the ground and 40% above the ground and you'll be
>in good shape.

I-beams are the way to go. But let's see here, guy wires above head height
= say 6 feet. Therefore 40% of x = 6 feet. If I recall my algebra correctly
x would = 15 feet. Which would equate to 9 feet in the ground? I think this
is a bit much for any 70 foot tower. Put the i-beam in the ground 4 foot
with rebar and Johnson studs with concrete and it will hold anything you
want to put up. A 10 foot i-beam is plenty.

Joe - WL7E/W7