[Towertalk] Fwd: Last Ditch Effort Needed on Tower Bill - June 28, 2002

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Fwd: Last Ditch Effort Needed on Tower Bill - June 28, 2002
From: n2mg@eham.net (Michael Gilmer)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:01:04 -0400
I live in NY (upstate, semi-rural) and although I had no problem getting two
(140-foot and 120-foot) towers approved by my town,  I dutifully wrote and
called several NY state representatives last year (which resulted in squat,
zip, nada) and again earlier this year.  But...I have to wonder about these
bills that stipulate a specific height.  Maybe some feel there *needs* to be
one to make the bill workable, but I think it's a bad precedent to set:
essentially declaring 95 feet as some kind of magic height - one at which
hams should be happy and shut up.

I know, I know, there are plenty of hams who would kill for a 95-foot tower,
but anyone looking for a 100 foot tower is potentially going to have to work
harder to justify it, if this passes.  My guess is it'll do more good than
harm (for we hams), but it still bothers me at some level.

-Mike N2MG

K4OJ wrote:

for reference who is the person who came up with 95 foot?  other than
someone who does not do much low band work!)