[Towertalk] mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] mast
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 06:22:56 -0600
The SCARIEST thing I have ever done on a tower
was to install a 20+ ft 100 lb. mast in my 130 ft tower.

If your tower is NOT already in place, it is MUCH better
to place the mast inside the bottom 2 or 3 sections and
then proceed to finish the tower.  ONE way to do that is
to temporarily strap 4 sections of tower next to the
permanent tower and use that to raise and insert the mast.

If the tower is already in place, the SAFEST solution is
to hire a crane.  A LONGER than normal (say 12 - 14 ft)
GIN Pole could also be used IF you really know what
you are doing and have a GOOD crew and equipment.

I would give serious consideration to the CRANE solution.
You could then use the crane to also raise the antennas,
either pre-installed on the mast or one at a time.

Tom  N4KG