[Towertalk] EXACT resonant freq of a dipole --> AEA CIA HF analyzer?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] EXACT resonant freq of a dipole --> AEA CIA HF analyzer?
From: corneliuspaul@gmx.net (corneliuspaul@gmx.net)
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 14:53:29 +0200
Hello everybody,

I want to EXACTLY measure the resonant frequency of a wire dipole.
That means I cannot use a simple SWR bridge, because normally the resonance
curve is so broad that I can only determine the resonant frequency with an
accuracy of +/- 100kHz, based on cross-needle readings.

I would like to determine the resonant frequency with an accuracy of +/-
10kHz, or at least with a much better accuracy than with the SWR bridge.

Before I buy one, can you please advise whether I will be able to do this
with an AEA CIA HF analyzer?
It sure looks good on the manufacturers specifications. I had an Autek RF-1
analyst before and I was quite dissapointed with its accuracy.
What else do you use for tasks like this?
Should I get the CIA or the VIA model?

(Why do I want to measure so exactly? I want to determine the velocity
factor of the wire used. The velocity factor is introduced by the
insulation covering the wire.
Therefore the wire elements are always a bit too long when cutting them to
the dimensions taken from a computer simulation.
This is not a problem with dipoles but with wire yagis and quads, where the
parasitic elements must have exactly the proper resonant frequency.)

Your comments are very much appreciated
73s Con DF4SA