[Towertalk] modeling versus measurement continued

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] modeling versus measurement continued
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:14:53 -0400
In an earlier message I mentioned that VOA used to conduct a monitoring
program in order to assess the quality of its signals in various parts of
the world and verify the accuracy of VOACAP predictions.  Turns out they
still do.

In some instances, such monitoring involves medium-wave signals that are
below the accurate frequency range of VOACAP, but the majority of
monitoring appears to be in the SW range.

The International Broadcasting Board (the parent of VOA, RFA and other
services, maintains a fascinating web site at http://monitor.ibb.gov
which explains the philosophy behind the program.  It also offers the
opportunity to hear how broadcasts from any number of SW broadcasting
services (not just VOA) sounded in almost real time in 80-odd cities around
the world.

Thanks to Bill Whitacre of IBB for turning me on to this.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org