[Towertalk] [Q] o.k. to wrap coax around mast to prevent snagging?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] [Q] o.k. to wrap coax around mast to prevent snagging?
From: khopper@uchicago.edu (Ken Hopper)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:47:24 -0500
Dear Tower and Rotor gurus,
I have had bad luck trying to make a loop of coax + steppir control cable that
will not snag on the top of my roof top tower. The quad-pod has a square top
piece where the mast goes through a sleeve bearing. The coax + ctrl cable
seems to snag there. I am using RG213 that is pretty loose and flexible in
this heat (95F) and it won't keep a stiff loop out clear from the tower. I
tried a two foot right angle home brew bracket off the mast and it was snapped
in half this weekend when I made a mad dash to the East (hihi).

Can you wind the coax + Ctrl cable around the mast like a telephone cord so
that it unwinds when the rotor is turned the opposite direction?

does the coax couple to the mast/tower in some undesireable way?

I have seen those commercial TV trucks with microwave dishes and the cable is
coiled around the mast. Wonder if it is a whole different deal?

your knowledgeable suggestions please,
de ken (newbie tower owner) n9vv
n9vv at arrl dot net
http://www.n9vv.com