[Towertalk] Tower Buidling 201

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower Buidling 201
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan & Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:27:07 -0700
Hi Joe,

Here are a couple of  suggestions that might help you:

Install the house bracket before you pour the base concrete.  This way, you
can move the tower base slightly to get it perfectly vertical, and THEN pour
the concrete.  This is much easier than trying to get the house bracket in
exactly the right place after the base is set in concrete.  Here is what I
would do:

1.  Install the house bracket where you want it.  I am sure you will get
advice on how to make the bracket installation strong and reliable, like
bolting through the wall and backing up the bolts with some additional
pieces of wood inside the house.

2.  Dig the hole below the house bracket and put in the gravel.

3.  Assemble two tower sections so you have a 20 foot piece.

4.  Stand the tower in the hole and attach it loosely to the bracket.

5.  Adjust the tower for vertical by moving the base slightly in the hole.
You can check this using a carpenter's level on the tower legs.

6.  Build a shallow concrete form around the tower where it is close to the
surface of the ground and pour the concrete to fill the hole.

Note 1:  Make sure no concrete can plug the tower legs.  The tower legs MUST
be able to drain water into the gravel.  You can do this by adding a couple
more inches of gravel after the tower is positioned vertically and before
you pour the concrete.

Note 2:  The concrete should extend above the surface of the surrounding
ground by a least a couple of inches so water will not stand around the
tower base.  Use a little "extra" concrete so the concrete base is actually
higher in the center so that any water that would want to stand on the
concrete surface around the tower legs will run off.

Good luck with your tower install.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com