[Towertalk] Phillystran break strength vs. diameter?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Phillystran break strength vs. diameter?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:14:59 EDT
In a message dated 9/12/02 11:50:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
na9d@speakeasy.net writes:

> In my talk with the factory sales guy at Datyon,

    His name is Ken Knight and is a good guy and has been helpful for all of
my Phillystran dealings.

>  he said the reason for
>  having a leader of steel guy wire is to prevent any abrasion or anyone
>  cutting it, messing around, etc.  He said that while they don't recommend
>  it, there is no technical reason why you can't go to the ground with it.
He
>  said that if you are confident that the guys are in a place where they
won't
>  get bothered by man or beast, then sure, you can run them all the way to
the
>  ground.  In other words, use your best judgement.

    The reasons for using EHS to the anchor is to prevent vandalism (they can
be cut with a razor knife and we actually had someone cut the Phillystran
guys to collapse a local Christian AM station). Another is that the jacket
can catch fire - we lost a commercial tower in Eastern WA some years ago that
had Phillystran and a fire came through.

    Your mileage WON'T vary - Phillystran can suffer from fates that EHS
shrugs off.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH --