[Towertalk] yagis in trees, indicator backward

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] yagis in trees, indicator backward
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan & Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:55:15 -0700
Hi Rich,

I think you need to think this one through again.

Looking at this from the top, if you hold the base of the rotator in one
spot, like on a normal tower installation, and ask the rotator to rotate
clockwise, that is exactly what it does.  However, if you hold the top of
the rotator solid in one place and again ask it to rotate clockwise, it will
turn the TOWER counter clockwise (or the beam that is hanging under it).

In another scenerio, if you simply mount your rotator upside down on your
tower such that the "top" (which is now the "bottom") is in a fixed position
and ask the rotator to rotate clockwise, the "bottom" (which is now the
"top") will rotate clockwise.  So turning it upside down has not changed the
direction of rotation.  However, if you now hold the "top" in a fixed
position and ask the rotator to rotate clockwise, it will rotate the tower
(or beam attached underneath it) counterclockwise.

This is sort of hard to visualize but not too hard to test if you have a
spare rotator on the ground . . .

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com