[Towertalk] US Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] US Towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:59:52 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/02 3:49:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ccc@space.mit.edu writes:

> The building code in my area (eastern MA) requires 90-mph-wind
>  survival, so I sent email to US Towers (at the address given on their
>  website) asking whether any of their towers can survive 90-mph wind,
>  and if so, with how many sq. ft. of antenna on top, and with what
>  guying.  I got an unresponsive reply so I asked again.  This time I
>  got no response at all.  I conclude that no US Towers tower can
>  survive 90 mph, even with no antenna.

    Well, I've had US Towers stamped for 85 MPH so it can probably be done
albeit with very little antenna capacity left (I think one had 25 pounds
capacity available). But of course that's fully extended.

    I know UST's PE and he prefers to work thru them. Otherwise you can get a
PE in your state to do the calcs and base design (it ain't that complicated).
BTW you need a PE stamp for YOUR state so maybe UST can't provide stamped
drawings for your state (I'm speculating).

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH --