[Towertalk] Philystran cost

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Philystran cost
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:33:52 -0500
Phyllistran runs around 45 cents a foot if I remember correctly.

EHS can be had for around 11 to 13 cents a foot.

Jerry's right about some of the extra costs, but consider that you will need
grips for the Phillystran as well, plus you will need some additional EHS
for leaders at the ground, etc.  I really doubt the costs come out even.

The bottom line that Phillystran told me was that if you plan on having the
tower in place for many years to come, then spend the money on their
product.  If you plan on having the tower in place for only 5 to 10 years
then don't bother.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 9/25/02 12:44 PM, Jerry Kincade at w5kp@swbell.net wrote:

> I went through this with a pencil last year when I put up my 80' 45G. Don't
> have the exact numbers handy, but after you add in the extra cost for the
> Philly, and then subtract a BUNCH of relatively expensive insulators and
> grips you don't need for RF resonance breakup, I think the Philly came out
> about 35-50% higher, depending on how you bend your pencil. But after I
> subtracted the weight, hassle, time, and headaches of properly installing
> and breaking up EHS guys, and it suddenly all came out even. I went with the
> Phillystran, and I've never looked back. I have around $4K+ invested in this
> modest tower/antenna setup overall, so the extra couple of hundred for
> Phillystran instead of EHS didn't keep me awake nights. The $4K+ did for a
> while, but the pain is even fading on that.
> 73, Jerry W5KP

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA