[Towertalk] Aircraft Cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Aircraft Cable
From: KI7WX@aol.com (KI7WX@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 12:18:31 -0400
>Well . . . IF you do what the manufacturer says,
>you never use Nicopress fittings on EHS

Heh, cute... I don't have a dog in this race because I use preforms to
terminate both my EHS and Philly guys. Just happened to recall W0UN's post.

With that, Nicopress fittings are well established in terminating all sorts of
cables. I marvel at the ones the size of my head that are used on 2" cables on
cranes and other heavy machinery. Nicopress clearly states in their literature
that their fittings can be used to terminate many different types of wire.

The manufacturer's directions in this case are simply to destruction test if
using a wire other than what they have provided data for. So long before Steve
had coined the LCX Prime-Directive, John was well ahead of everyone and using
good common sense to fully understand a system before implementing it.

What I would worry about with Nicopress type fittings in the field is that the
average guy might not achieve the proper crimp using hand tools. Knowing how
cheap hams are, guys will probably not spring the $150 bucks for the big hand
crimper and will try to get away with using the $25 swaging device and a 6"
adjustable.

YMMV

Mark
KI7WX