[Towertalk] First Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] First Tower
From: jhisson1@columbus.rr.com (Jason Hissong)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:36:36 -0400
Hi gang...

Thanks to the ham that pointed me in the direction of searching the list.
Got alot of good information.  I am debating between a Trylon and a
Universal Tower.  Some questions I have (and I am sure I will have more as
my project gets going).

1. The Trylon Tower seems like the best deal.  How long does it take to get
one shipped?

2. I will be digging the hole soon.  I have to put it in the back yard
behind the garage.  I have a large tree with tree roots that I am bound to
run into when digging.  What would be the best solution to get this hole
dug?  I thought about having a backhoe come in, however, I do not want to
destroy the lawn getting it back there.  Is there anything I can rent to
help with this?  Or elbow grease the best way to go about this?

3. What would the cost be for 6 cu yards of concrete?  Again, I do not want
the truck to back up into the lawn if at all possible, I do not know how
much work wheelbarrelling that much concrete be :)

4. I read in Universal Towers information that you can put the tower up
after 3 to 4 days after the concrete being poured.  Is this ok for the
Trylons?

5. I think I am going with the 56' Tower... T300... for 999.00 that seems
like a good deal!  I have an 11 element 2M beam that I will be putting on
top... what type of separation should I have between the HF beam (an MQ34R
from TGM Communications) and the 2M beam?

6. How cold can I have concrete poured?  I will not have the final approval
until November 21st.  However, I may be able to get the based dug and poured
before then (the guy who is responsible for variance approvals stated that
as long as I put the tower behind the house that it will be approved.  I may
have to stay under 50' though).

7. Is it worth it?  Hehehhee... just kidding... an HF beam at 58' should be
a far cry from my dipole at 40'!!!

Thanks guys!!  I appreciate your time and patience with these obvious
questions...

Wish me luck with city council!!!