[Towertalk] Guy atachment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy atachment
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 23:46:01 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/02 5:57:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jhburns@attglobal.net writes:

> If I use a guyed tower the anchor points will be a challenge. The tower will
>  be just behind the house. Our masonry fireplace is along the same wall. How
>  might guys be attached to a fireplace?

    A fireplace doesn't have any strength or reinforcing - that's why they
get damaged easily. A guy anchor there might be mostly psychological.

>  To keep the other guys from being a nuisance in the yard I would like to
>  attach them to post at least seven feet tall. Can anyone suggest how big a
>  post is needed and how much concrete is needed to hold it in place?

    A reasonable rule-of-thumb is to have 60% above ground and 40% in the
ground - in this case about 5 feet. However much concrete it takes to fill
the hole should suffice.

    Do not use round pipe or tubing unless it's like 6-8" or more in
diameter. I-beam
(eye-beam) is much stronger.

    Since your proposed tower is only 40 feet, you can't get into too much
trouble. Just follow the LXC Prime Directive and "DO what the manufacturer
says". If in doubt, ask here or a knowledgeable engineering-type.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH