[Towertalk] andros 2 piece N connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] andros 2 piece N connectors
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 09:04:43 -0500
Cable Xperts sells these and I've used a lot of them.

Strip your cable like you would a PL259.  Then solder away!  Heat the center
pin up and then let the solder flow into the hole.  Once the center
conductor of the coax heats up enough, it will suck the solder in nicely.
That's the trickiest part.

You may also need to file down or sand down your center conductor a little.
On some 9913 solid I used, I had to do this in order to get it to fit.

My other recommendation is to use a coax stripping tool.  Pay the money and
get one.  The difficult part about these connectors and solid center
conductors is that center pin.  Any kink or any little bend in the center
conductor will prevent it from going properly into the pin.  Using a
stripping tool helps prevent those sort of problems from happening.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 10/4/02 11:01 PM, steve sala at stetrekve@yahoo.com wrote:

> I bought several N male connectors from HRO to connect
> to my 9913F7 for my VHF/UHF beams which have N
> terminations.  The handbook shows a multi piece N
> connector only.  The Andros web site sucks, nothing on
> using their connectors.  Does someone have the cutting
> dimensions to this connector?  The connector says
> Andros and made in USA and the connector solders the
> center pin on its side and the braid sort of like a
> PL-259.  (This is an antenna topic because it is
> stopping me from installing the antennas.....hihi)
> Thanks, 73, Steve K7AWB Spokane

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA