[Towertalk] GAO Challenger DX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] GAO Challenger DX
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:14:59 -0700
John,

I wouldn't recommend elevated mounting of the Challenger DX.  As I've stated
before, if you had one on hand, and lifted it off the ground, you'd know
pretty quickly why this isn't recommended.  It's top heavy, catches a lot of
wind, and really needs a strong, substantial base, or the base will be the
weak link that renders the antenna scrap aluminum in the yard below.

However, just for clarification, the three 25' wires attached like radials
to the base of the Challenger are not a counterpoise.  They are
bottom-loading to achieve resonance on 40/80 meters, and do nothing at all
on the higher bands.  The Challenger is not a base-fed vertical, it's
center-fed, with linear loading on most bands as well as bottom loading on
40, and top and bottom loading on 80.  I've disconnected the wires
completely and noted zero impact on 20-15-10m, but a rather dramatic impact
on 40/80 (like a resonance shift, completely out of the band).

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti