[Towertalk] Balun Location (more)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Balun Location (more)
From: VE6JY Don Moman" <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (VE6JY Don Moman)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:31:30 +0100
I just finished building 2 yagis using the coax balun and waterproofing the
"Y" was an issue. Solved it indirectly - if it can't get wet, it won't.  An
approx 12" square rain hat of a  suitable plastic / lexan what ever will
take the UV served the purpose in my situation.  I'll let you know in 10 or
20 years how well it holds up.

These towers are quite a distance - 1700 (20m 6 el OWA yagi @ 100' ) and
1200 (15m 6 el OWA at 110' ) feet away from the shack (the remote multiplier
towers I mentioned in the NCJ article)  and hopefully will be low
maintenance. With the recent very dry years, it's OK to get back in the bush
to them, but that may not always be the case. The 20m just went up yesterday
and the 15 is ready to go once the weather improves. They have/will be put
up in one piece with the beam on top to save time - days are getting short
and weather has been unusually chilly.

73 Don
VE6JY

KI7WX@aol.com