[Towertalk] Repairing Fiberglass Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Repairing Fiberglass Verticals
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:09:51 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/02 9:50:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
na9d@speakeasy.net writes:

>  The very top section is broken about 3 or 4
>  inches from the top.  I have all the pieces and it looks like I could get
>  them back together w/o too much trouble.  The top section is also cracked a
>  bit too.  The other parts of the antenna are in fine shape.
>
>  So what is the best way to repair this guy?  A new one would cost about
$200
>  so it's worth it to try whatever if I get a working antenna.  Would I be
>  better off contacting Comet to see if they can sell me a new upper section?

    Naw - they probably want a LOT for parts like that although it couldn't
hurt to ask.

>  Or can I epoxy the pieces back together, etc.

    Sure.

>  I am just wondering what the
>  best way to do that is.  Am I going to suffer any problems with strenght,
>  etc?

    I'd suggest something like JB Weld - that stuff will bond just about
ANYTHING.

    All the fiberglass does is provide a radome for the metal antenna
underneath. There isn't any stress that'll come out 3 or 4 inches from the
top of the antenna so I'd say you're good to go once it's repaired. Actually
you could probably tape it and it'd be okay.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -