[Towertalk] Antenna Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Problem
From: kq2m@earthlink.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:17:05 -0500
On occasion I have had similar problems with one of my 40-2cd's at 123'.

I believe that it is because I did not originally open up the traps, replace
the (most likely) rusted aluminum screws and reseal.  I had significant
RF problems in 2 contests with fluctuating SWR and audio, RF in the shack,
etc.
I am only 20 miles from Long Island Sound (a very, very large body of salt
water)
and you can see it from the top of my tower.  I have found significant
corrosion on many relay
boxes outside - no doubt from the rain/snow in coastal storms which comes in
from the
Atlantic and LI Sound.

I am sure that corrosion is that problem here and with your QTH on salt
water, that
makes it even more likely as your culprit too.

However, before you assume that it is the feedpoint, check the PL259 and
where it is connected
on the end of the coax coming down from the tower.

In another contest, I had an intermittent with the same 40-2cd and it turned
out that the
 large temperature changes over a few months caused the PL259 to loosen
slightly
and then arc with 1500 watts going through it.  This caused the intermittent
and there was
a black carbon buildup on the PL259 and the SO239 where it was connected.

Cleaning off the carbon and screwing the PL259 on with a large wrench
cleared up
that problem.

Try the simple (and not so obvious) fixes first.

GL!

Bob KQ2M