[Towertalk] Antenna Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Problem
From: w4zw@comcast.net (W4ZW)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:06:59 -0500
Thanks for all the help and suggestions fellows.

As a follow-up to my intermittent problem with the 402CD, problem
solved.

After changing the feed line coax connector in the shack yesterday,
decided to drop the antenna.  Started early this morning before the wind
builds off the ocean.  As soon as I had it down, it was obvious that the
feed point attachment was loose.  I had attached the coax balun to the
boom quite securely toward the mast, but only used one heavy duty
ty-wrap toward the feed.  The air balun moved enough side to side to
transfer the movement through the rather stiff 9913 to the feed points.
The feed worked loose and the coax seal starting filling in the
connection and there's the intermittent problem.  Even the slightest
breeze was enough to rock the balun and move the connector.  I usually
also attach the feed line to each element with a strap and hose clamp.
I didn't do this when I put it back up a few months ago since the feed
point was so well sealed and  I didn't want to open another path for all
this saltwater.

Now, what's a good method to remove all this coax seal?

I was going to replace the trap screws while I have it down, but what do
you use to reseal the trap?  I have some large shrink tubing, but not
that large.  My traps seem to be in perfect condition and well sealed.

When my 40M beam is happy, I'm happy.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of Paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"