[Towertalk] Wire for a Beverage ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Wire for a Beverage ??
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:37:47 -0800

> Hello everyone, I am planning on playing in CQWW CW on topband.(with the
> callsign G4RS) At the moment i have a 191 ft Zep strung between two 60 ft
> towers. I am planning on making this into a double extended zep on
> topband.

        [Steve Katz]  Wow, that's a 650' long antenna (5/4-wavelenth at 1.8
MHz.  The wire will have to be very strong to self-support for this span.
Whis is probably why almost nobody has one.

> I am also planning on adding a beverage in the direction of the US. The
> thought of going to the local emporium and purchasing enough wire to do
> both
> is a bit scary on the old wallet. So what have you guys out there found to
> do the job ? Is it a case of paying the going rate for antenna wire, or is
> there an alternative wire available. I had thought of welding wire, but am
> not sure how well it will hold up to being stretched etc.

        [Steve Katz]  What a good question.  I'd assume that only copperweld
will survive the application, anything else is likely to not only stretch,
but break.  Probably #10 copperweld would do it.  With an enormously strong
center insulator capable of handling several hundred pounds of tension.

> Your thoughts will as always be very much appreciated.PS if you have
> played
> on topband in this contest, what should i expect ??

        [Steve Katz]  Not nearly as much activity as the ARRL 160 or the CQ
160 contests.  Since each DX contact takes more time, and there aren't as
many available, on 160 as there are on the higher bands, I don't see any big
scores on 160 during CQ WW or ARRL DX.  I personally made about 25 DX
contacts last time (using callsign K2XR, operating from NJ) and that was one
of the "higher" 160 scores, as I recall.  I got yelled at by the other
station ops for wasting more time than necessary, and they were probably
right.  If you want to make hundreds of 160m contacts over a single weekend,
the 160m contests are the place to do it. -WB2WIK/6